[OZAPRS] Navigator Updates and ZL2 Experience.

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 09:14:19 EST 2009

> It seems uniquely NZ to have to know the name of a digi in your area.
> For example, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 didn't work last year in Christchurch as I
> think I needed MARLEY-1,WIDE2-2 or something, and likewise in the Nth Is
> you have TPO etc that need to be explicitly listed. This makes it tricky
> for a wanderer with a tracker device and no laptop!

Hear hear!  There is a slow but sure push for streamlining the APRS
infrastructure here, using the new paradigm and a single frequency.
Unfortunately, over time the APRS infrastructure had become fragmented,
and there is still some reluctance to "un-fragment" it.  However, progress
is being made (and it's experiences like yours that serve to highlight
*why* we should be doing it).

I'm glad you enjoyed your ZL trip, and thanks for writing about it.

73,

Andrew
ZL3AME