[OZAPRS] Navigator Updates and ZL2 Experience.

Dave Ingram bulk at ingramtech.com
Tue Feb 3 08:56:58 EST 2009

Phillip wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
>                    Good to see you on ZL soil and yes the North Island is a
> bit lacking with digi's , this is due to the fact that there are data
> repeaters in some areas and data digi's in others the other problem also is
> with frequencies.

I was using a map from an NZART site that showed polygons of coverage
with different freqs etc. I didn't have much luck in Napier, even on the
'standard' freq for NZ. It was at
    http://www.navcom.co.nz/zares/images/aprs-freqs.jpg
but I found a copy at another site too that seemed vaguely official.
> The South Island is in a better position but still lacks a few more Ui-digi
> s  and work is continuing to get these areas

I had no luck in Christchurch last year, but there are plenty of reports.
> sorted out.  The South Island is mainly 144.650 simplex with ui type digi's
> there are a couple of areas on 144.575 and there are 3 or 4 Digi's that don
> t support APRS at this time again we are working on these.

It seems uniquely NZ to have to know the name of a digi in your area.
For example, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 didn't work last year in Christchurch as I
think I needed MARLEY-1,WIDE2-2 or something, and likewise in the Nth Is
you have TPO etc that need to be explicitly listed. This makes it tricky
for a wanderer with a tracker device and no laptop!

I forgot to try the tracker in Feilding as the Ashhurst or Palmy digi
should have picked it up OK. It would have been good to have it running
when circling over Feilding at 2000ft (with pilot's permission of course
but there are no nav instruments in a Cessna 150).
> If you take a look at the link below you will see what type of coverage you
> can expect to get and frequencies
>
> this may have improved slightly
>
> http://zlhams.wikidot.com/aprsinfrastructure:infrastructure

I'll bookmark that one for the next trip back! A single national freq
for simplex digis would be nice ....

Dave.

--
David Ingram (VK4TDI)
To avoid spam trap, send email to dave at ingramtech dot com