[OZAPRS] HF APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 2 08:51:51 EST 2009

Hi Ian,

I wonder if propagation is the problem? I can't say emphatically that
I'm "on frequency" but the rig is a Codan running a full Codan spec
crystal which are generally very reliable. The Codan uses a single
crystal for both tx and rx so if one is off, so is the other.

My heard list is light on today but it has been reasonably full. So, is
it Mother Nature, or have I shifted?

Maybe others would like to comment on my frequency status, although, one
of the stations I've logged (over 13,000 packets) is vk3my, a net
frequency reference station. Based on that I'm inclined to blame Mother
Nature.

Ray vk2tv

Ian Bennett wrote:
> Hi Ray,
> 	Pardon my ignorance but I thought the 30m freq was 10147.6KHz when using
> 1600/1800 Hz tones.
> 	Answers a few questions though. A few weeks ago I was 50Hz down and was
> getting in through you but now I am on 10147.6Khz, I'm only in through VK4UN
> and VK5LY.
>
> Ian
> VK1IAN
>
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:45:21 Ray Wells wrote:
>
>> Kinda looks like there's plenty of standards from which to choose.
>>
>> I'm using 14105.09 USB (1600/1800Hz) because there was previous activity
>> there in VK. When my heard list included an Italian station I went
>> searching and found that there were quite a number of international
>> stations also using the same frequency that I'm on.
>>
>> It looks as if there are two principal 20m aprs frequencies. The
>> question for VK is, which one should we use? Given that there was
>> general acceptance of a bbs also being available on an aprs frequency
>> for travellers, perhaps I (we) should stay put. I doubt that there will
>> ever be enough bbs traffic on the 20m frequency for it to be considered
>> a nuisance - there are no bbs mail broadcasts, and access currently
>> requires a connection to my node (vk2tv-1) first, and than a connection
>> from there to the bbs. The connection procedure could change to a direct
>> connection but that won't increase the traffic level.
>>
>> With 20m Igates in their (renewed) infancy in VK, now is the time to
>> decide which way we want to go.
>>
>> Already Scott vk2hse and myself have gates running, and perhaps Samantha
>> has a gate running as well. Are there others, like the one in vk6?
>>
>> Discussion please.
>>
>> Ray vk2tv
>>
>> Michael Zwingl, OE3MZC wrote:
>>
>>> HF-APRS 14.103 LSB 300Baud (1600/1800Hz tones)
>>>
>>> see:
>>>
>>> 80m      3610                USB                Robust-PR
>>> 1500Hz          via DB0UAL robust pr
>>> 40m      7032,6             USB                300 Baud FSK 1700Hz
>>> 40m      7035                LSB                300 Baud FSK 1700Hz
>>>
>>> 30m      10.147,6          USB                300 Baud FSK
>>> 1700Hz world wide HF-APRS
>>> 30m      10.151             LSB                300 Baud FSK
>>> 1700Hz           same QRG as above!
>>> 30m      10.147,3          USB                Robust-PR
>>> 1500Hz           world wide RPR-APRS
>>>
>>> 20m      14.102,0          USB                Robust-PR
>>> 1500Hz           via DB0UAL robust-PR
>>> 20m      14.103             LSB                300 Baud FSK
>>> 1700Hz           world wide HF- APRS
>>> 20m      14.103,3          LSB                Robust-PR