[OZAPRS] VK5ALE Lower Eyre Peninsula ARC clubrooms destroyed

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 24 14:42:30 EST 2009

Hi Everybody,
Sad news from Port Lincoln today. Yesterday we had a bushfire threaten
the outskirts of Port Lincoln during a Catastrophic Fire danger day (FDI
100+).
Strong, hot North winds made fighting the fire impossible and a wind
change made things a lot worse. 12 homes were lost, countless sheds and
rural properties have been destroyed... but thankfully, no lives were
lost but it's not going to be a merry Christmas for some families this
year.
I've uploaded a video showing what's left of the Lower Eyre Peninsula
ARC clubrooms to YouTube :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_yHlgI9Jqs
Our voice repeaters and APRS digipeaters are still operational, but we
won't be operating from VK5ALE any more.
Regards,
Michael.
VK5ZEA