[OZAPRS] Plug computer

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Fri Dec 11 13:54:35 EST 2009

Tony Hunt wrote:
> I wonder if you could use this to create a remote low powered Igate ? I
> bet you could. These are $99 US ..

I bought a Buffalo wireless router from Retravision for all of $45. Many
802.11 wireless routers based on a Broadcom chipsets will run an
embedded Linux distribution like OpenWRT. OpenWRT has a prepackaged
APRS-IS server and most of these boards give you at least 1 serial port.

If you have an available wireless or Ethernet Internet connection
available, then presto, you have yourself an APRS-IS server.

If you want to use a USB 3G modem, then many of the NAS devices out
there run Linux and have USB support. Check out http://www.openwrt.org/

I haven't tested this setup yet (building the MAX232 circuit to
interface to the router's TTL serial port) but I don't anticipate any
major roadblocks so far.

73
Gavin.
--

       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
     ICQ: 17230395       MSN/Skype/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au