[OZAPRS] SAT APRS Expansion

Andrew Gilbett andrew.gilbett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:44:59 EST 2009

Hi All,
I thought that this may be of interest to all APRS users.
It just came through on the AMSAT weekly news.

<quote>

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-116.04
APRS Satellite Fleet Expansion Planned

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 116.04
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
April 26, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-116.04

Writing from the US Naval Academy Satellite Development Lab this
week Bob, WB4APR reported on new satellites with the same APRS
packet relay as PCSAT and the ISS that are in the works.

Bob said their design will use the new Byonics all-on-a-board Packet
TNC/Radio/Telemetry system.  This makes it possible to build a packet
satellite out of a single 3.4" square board and 5 NiCd batteries and
that is all you need for a tiny APRS satellite.

Bob said, "We are ordering a bunch of them on the APRS Space Channel
of 145.825 MHz and hope to encourage other schools and universities
to consider including one of these packet transponders in their
missions. If we can get up to a dozen of these in space, we will have
almost global coverage 24 hours a day from anywhere on the planet!"

These systems are still under development. No launch dates have been
announced at this time.

[ANS thanks Bob, WB4APR for the above information]

</quote>

Thanks :-)
Andrew Gilbett
andrew.gilbett at gmail.com