[OZAPRS] Newto bothLinuxandXastir. Havingtrouble

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 13 18:04:05 EST 2009

Shaun,

How are you fairing with it?? I have been following this but not in great
detail.. Have you checked a few simple things ? I may be doubling up here on
whats been covered but here goes.
I dont know what Distro your running there and that would be interesting to
know. I did see Ray asking about that but have not seen the answer.

1: Run up a console (Not Root) and type "xastir &" without the quotes.

It should give you a big speil about what map types are capable and compiled
for
For Uiview (Raster) maps you will need support for GEO Image Maps
(ImageMajic/Graphics Magic) which will probably show up as supported under
additional map types. Without this your sunk trying to see any of them with
xastir.

2: Assuming youve got number 1 sorted out go into the Maps menu and make
sure you have the "enable automaps" button depressed. Also make sure you
have the "AutoMap disable raster maps" NOT depressed as this will definitly
stop your Uiview maps happening. Make sure that the "Enable map levels"
button is depressed also.

3: As Ray mentioned Linux is case sensitive. I make all maps and geo
filenames lower case for simplicity. Make sure the file name references in
the GEO files are the same.
A file called ADEL.jpg is a completely different file to adel.jpg as is
ADEL.JPG. Its not like Windows at all in this area.

4: Do the GEO files show up in the Map Chooser yet ? If they do then
highlight some and then go into the Properties dialogue from the map
chooser. Highlight some of the map names in the Properties box and make them
Auto Maps "YES".
Now have a look at the map layers. If you have some vector maps loading
(worldhi) then they are probably layered at 1000 if its a recent version of
xastir.
Change the layers on the Raster (uiview maps) to something greater than 1000
otherwise you will not see them.

5: When you close the properties window and then OK or Apply it you should
see on the bottom left status bar of xastir the maps that its loading. Keep
an eye out for your Uiview raster maps and see if that file name appears in
the load.

6: Join the xastir mailing list. Its a wealth of info although it often goes
over my head. Theres things to be learned on there and help in abundance.
Its a steep learning curve but once you have a taste for it you will stick
with it. A bit like learning to eat Olives I think.

Tony VK5AH