[OZAPRS] New to both Linux and Xastir. Having trouble gettingthe maps into the maps dir

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Apr 16 13:40:34 EST 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Geoff wrote:

> I have had this problem where root cannot read files - they were indeed
> set with 000 as the permission, but also had another attribute set
> (chattr) - I can't recall which one, but it is certainly possible to
> make a file unreadable to root.  Root can however reset the attributes
> and permissions, if you know which attribute is set :-)

Yeah; I've also seen similar behaviour from device files, and also broken
applications that don't take uid==0 into account.

> This was found during investigation of a r00tkit on one of our boxes.
> We tend to learn a lot when tracing what has been done by the evil
> script kiddies ;-)

An early Penguin box that I was semi-administering (but not allowed to
firewall - sigh) was truly r00ted once (by the SSH compensation attack); I
was really impressed by the number of trojaned binaries that took great
efforts to mask themselves, so e.g. PS didn't show certain processes, and
LS certain files etc - the usual stuff.

> Even so, it's not really something that can be inherited from a download
> - it needs to be intentionally set that way.

Indeed, hence my remark.

-- Dave