[OZAPRS] New to bothLinuxandXastir. Havingtrouble gettingthemapsinto the maps dir

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 13 15:47:14 EST 2009

Andrew,

I like your help document re UIView files in xastir. Thank you for
making it and for making it available.

I've been playing around in Linux since 1992 and seriously for the BBS
since I switched to it in 1999. I'm far from an expert, with most
knowledge coming from hard-earned experience rather than (un)help(ful)
documents. Doing it the "hard way" tends to make the information stick a
bit better, with me, at least!

My biggest gripe with xastir is that help is often buried in illogical
places and some of it assumes you have knowledge of what you're trying
to do which, for a beginner, is usually a long way from reality. This is
not a complaint because, like many (most?) xastir users I'm pleased the
developers' efforts have been the program itself rather than having a
mediocre program with lots of help.

The xastir mailing list is a great place for newbies to get assistance,
and usually in a helpful, non-sarcastic way. It is strongly recommended.
I also recommend the xastir wiki for some really useful documentation.

Hang in there Shaun and you'll come to appreciate both Linux and xastir.

Ray vk2tv