[OZAPRS] Re: Re: Your signal....

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 2 11:09:02 EST 2009

David the Gate bit is the standard GATE alias which is designated for HF
Gateways. They dont Digipeat on HF but they Cross digi sometimes back to VHF
Networks especially if they have no direct connection to the Internet. So
the Gate bit tells the HF Gatways that this frame is destined for the
Internet or the VHF Port.

The WIDE2-1 bit is there to make the frame propagate at least 1 hop into a
Digi on the VHF network after its crossed from HF. This is so that the frame
can reach an Igate which is monitoring the VHF Net and gating it to the Net.
It all works assuming that the HF Gate is only 1 hop away from an Igate. We
used to use GATE,WIDE2-2 a bit but the Igates are generally within 1 hop in
most places to get the frames but just raising this point may be enough to
get another thread going.

On Satellite work we use SGATE instead of GATE as a alias on the Sat Gates.

I use a package called Digi_Ned with AGW or BPQ32 and it has some
customisable smarts in it so that if it sees a HF frame with No vias or the
wrong ones on it it Gates it to VHF as a rule.

The best way to make sure you dont get gated to the Internet anywhere on the
systems is to use a NOGATE or RFONLY as the last via on your path.

Tony vk5ah