[OZAPRS] usb-serial

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Sun Nov 30 20:40:26 EST 2008

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 08:35:53AM +1100, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
>> I've been known to have up to 10 of the things plugged into my workshop
>> laptop at times over the years, with gps's, accelerometers, tnc's, router
>> consoles, etc, all running together, and haven't had a problem :)  Only
>> issue was making sure that the same devices always went into the same
>> ports on the hubs, if I unplugged anything for any reason (otherwise it's
>> install drivers yet again for a 'new device', and mess up your com port
>> numbering...)
>
> Use linux! :)

I'm curious to see if you pin specific USB serial devices to /dev/ttySx ports?

Also have you used more than 128 serial ports?

I've had issues with more than 128 serial devices hanging of a 2.4.x kernel,
but have not tested this with a 2.6.x kernel yet. Especially the cheaper
USB-Serial devices.

To be honest I am yet to do any work with packet, but I'm quite interested
in this space.

regards,

Kim
--