[OZAPRS] WXSVR-AU CWA Duplicates and missed bits

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 28 23:28:23 EST 2008

I saw a bit of a problem today. Early in the day we had some thunderstorms
pass through in the Wakefield MDN and Flinders FLI and these gated fine out
to RF onto the D700 ..

Currently I am Gating a few CWA zones that I probably would not normally.
These are just beyond the normal limits of the network. It helps give an
idea of how this NWS stuff  works.

Problem. Later in the day we got a set of Alerts messages etc came through
for TAS onto RF. East of  Flinders Island by the looks of it.. Its easy to
see how, as it seems there are duplicate CWA codes for VK7 and VK5 .. Check
the FLI CWA codes on this page.
http://wxsvr.aprs.net.au/zones.php

Not sure how to get around this one but I thought it was worth a mention..
I am not likely to Gate FLI stuff normally but the VK7 boys might also find
it painful getting messages for VK5 FLI stuff which covers a large area.

Also we had some messages come through for some nearby areas and the last
bit of Text was cut off giving relavant locality info. It said something
like "Strong winds for people in areas " and then that was the end of the
message. It looks like it was beyond the size limit of a APRS message . With
all the Zone Time and preceding data slapped on it , it became a sizable
string. Seems a pity to get the warning and then miss the relavant locality
alltogether.

Once again I dont know what could solve this one but perhaps trunkating it
into a separate new APRS message as a continuation of the first one so to
speak. As with all APRS messages theres no guarantee which order they are
going to appear on a given network but perhaps a slight delay before the
continuation of the first to the second message being injected into the IS
might fudge it.

Its an interesting system for sure and a bit of a learning curve but we are
actually getting stuff working that looks like it could be useful .

Thanks Geoff

Tony Hunt VK5AH