[OZAPRS] VHF and HF APRS

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 25 11:10:08 EST 2008

Group,
	Have passed my exams and am awaiting a callsign from ACMA, so am about to
embark on my APRS journey ;-)
	I am going on a 4WD trip to the "red centre" mid 2009 and will have my
vehicle APRS equipped.
	Given the isolation of where we are going, it has been suggested that HF APRS
would be the solution however I would also like to operate VHF for when I am
in range of any repeaters.
	Setup will be two radios, with two trackers being fed by one GPS.
	Now to my questions to the group, along with "what I reckon".
	Can I operate APRS on both VHF and HF at the same time?? I assume I can,
which raises another question about SSIDs.
	I assume I use the same SSID in both trackers, otherwise the network will see
two different units at the same location (not what I intend).
	Assuming I have all that right, how does the "network" determine which report
to use?? As VHF will be banging away more often than HF, position updates
would be arriving more often. Can I "preference" which update gets plotted or
is it fixed to a timestamp??
	The last thing I want to do is upset the network.
	Regards,

Ian
(soon to be) VK1IB (I hope)