[OZAPRS] Message Traffic and WX Alerts in Xastir

Geoff geoff at gatwards.org
Wed Nov 26 21:02:46 EST 2008

David,

Looks like Xastir's Alert list is breaking up the messages a little
differently...

CNTFLW (Originating callsign = CWA+PID)
PM2AA  (I believe this is the checksum sequence payload - see
wxsvr.aprs.net.au/protocol.html)
NWS_WATCH  (warning type)
25 at 2202z -----> 26 at 1002z  (Issue time -----> Expiry Time)
YN   (This is the one I have no idea about!!)
VC_C021  (Victoria County 021 area)
FLOOD  (Plaintext warning type)

So if we could understand where that third last piece of data comes from
we'll be able to sort this ... Whatever it is, I'm guessing that ?N is not
valid, and therefore why it's not showing up.

There is a THIRD message transmitted with each Wx alert that I didn't
mention in the first mail - the Warning Summary is also transmitted as a
standard APRS Message to BOMxxx where xxx is the CWA code.
This is there to allow display in a readable format on mobile rigs like the
D700/D710 etc.  That's what you are seeing in the message window - actual
messages :-)

Geoff