[OZAPRS] Message Traffic and WX Alerts in Xastir

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Nov 22 09:25:52 EST 2008

Could this be the road to the money?

Each *.shp file needs a corresponding *.dbfawk file that can be stored
with the shapefile files or it can be in /usr/local/share.xastir/config.
Lots of examples in the latter.

An extract from README.MAPS ......

 Using "dbfawk" to interpret shapefile DBF data:  Each shapefile
      map (*.shp, *.shx) comes with a DBase data file (*.dbf) in which
      each shape in the .shp file has a corresponding set of descriptive
      data about that shape in the .dbf file.  While shapefiles are all
      a standard format and will most always draw (possibly after having
      been re-projected with shpproj), the corresponding .dbf data varies
      widely depending on the data source.  For example, US Census
      Tiger/Line files contain 20 attributes for each shape including such
      values as the name of the shape (i.e. street name), and a "Census
      Feature Class Code" (CFCC) which indicates whether a shape is a
      dirt road or a superhighway, for example.

      In "pre-dbfawk" Xastir, knowledge of the various sources of
      shape files was built into the program and it was necessary to
      add code to support new shapefile sources (such as those
      produced by local government agencies, non-US, etc.).  Xastir
      with dbfawk moves this logic into metadata files named *.dbfawk.
      These files are linked to the .shp/.dbf files they belong with in
      one of two ways:
        1. "Signature" recognition.  .dbfawk files located in the config/
           directory are read to find the "dbfinfo" signature, which is
           simply the ordered list of attribute names found in the .dbf
file.
           If you browse config/*.dbfawk you will see dbfawk's for the most
           well know shapefile types.  For example, tgrlk.dbfawk matches
           all the "tgr*lk?.dbf" US Census Tiger/Line files.  When a
shapefile
           map is displayed, it's .dbf signature is matched up with one of
           the config/*.dbfawk files.
        2. "Tied" to a file.  If you installed a .dbfawk file in the same
            directory as the .shp and .dbf files (e.g. sample.shp,
sample.dbf
            get a corresponding sample.dbfawk) then that file is used
instead
            of signature matching.
      The first method allows a single .dbfawk file to be automatically
      used for hundreds of standard shapefile maps.  The later allows you
      to customize how your particular shapefile map displays.

      What's in a .dbfawk file?  The best documentation of these files
      is found by looking at the commented examples in config/*.dbfawk.
      dbfawk is modeled after the "awk" pattern scanning and processing
      language -- but, it is *not* exactly awk:
        - Regular expression syntax is that used by Perl (the pcre library
          is used) rather than pure awk.
        - Action statements are much more limited than full-blown awk.
        - The concept of records and fields is used since a .dbf record
          is structured of usually several fields (name, feature type,
etc.).

The text goes on to describe dbfawk files in great detail. Do we have a
volunteer to look into this? I simply don't have the time at the moment.

Ray vk2tv