[OZAPRS] Maps

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 10:02:36 EST 2008

Hi,

I sent a similar message to NZ APRS users, but I think it might be useful
to mention it here.  Indeed, it's possible someone here just has the
answer, in which case it would save me a lot of work.

Basically, where do you get your XASTIR maps from?

I have found this source for a bunch of free maps for Garmin mapping GPS
units:
http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/

In particular, I am interested in the NZ maps, which are stored there, but
maintained by these guys:
http://www.gwprojects.org/gps/

The maps are in Polish Format, but there is a free utility called
cGPSmapper which will convert to ESRI shapefiles.  The instructions are
here:
http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348

Once I convert them to shapefiles I can view them in XASTIR, but I need
.dbfawk files to make them actually usable.

I have started making .dbfawk files for the shapefiles that are produced
by cgpsmapper, and they probably will work for any map that came from the
same place (i.e. you could use it for the Australia maps).  It's a little
tedious to do this, but it only needs to be done once.  Having said that,
has anyone else done it (to save me the trouble)?  Having said *that*,
it's been fun delving into the way that XASTIR does map formatting.

73,

Andrew
ZL3AME