[OZAPRS] RE: Re: RE: APRS beacons sent from Mt. Kaputar near Narrabri Inte rnational Space Station RS0ISS

Ian Mills imills at awa.com.au
Thu Nov 6 14:16:14 EST 2008

Hi Gerard,

There are a few of us that send our positions to ISS in VK/ZL, I had  a few successful passes last week but on one pass I had no luck as it was constantly Txing (not sure what it was sending as I received no positions on my D-700). The more beacons we send the less likely anyone else can get their position through, particularly if we use more than 1w TX..

I think the weblink your refer to is this?

http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-aprs/iss-tx.txt

An extract follows:

" ... The ISS experiment is not dedicated to APRS, but shared with other UI
packet users worldwide.  For a position/status, I see no need for more
than  one success per pass or maybe 2 widely separated so as to hit those
both  before you and after you on the ground track.

Any station that has successfully seen his APRS POSIT/STATUS packet in the
downlink should cease transmitting it at that point.

On ISS, We hope that after the initial excitement, that things will settle
down into a healty routine where everyone gets their small one second
chance to be seen... and then lets someone else have  a go...  We want to
see schools with kids watching to have a good chance at success on every
pass. Define success as ONE PACKET and your chances go way up...

By encouraging everyone of us to stay low key, then this helps assure each
of us that there may be more bandiwidth available when WE do our own
little school or public demo..  If you are doing a demo, please include it
in your status so all can see.

de WB4APR, Bob"

Cheers
Ian vk2him