[OZAPRS] EasyRadio and the next generation of Packet radio

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Wed May 14 08:26:06 EST 2008

Hi Andrew

Sounds like a great idea, but I do have some comments to make. Given your
comment about LIPD's I am assuming that these devices are running on UHF.

Firstly, these radios are running 30 W at 19200 bps. The Energy Per Bit is
6.25% what it would be at 1200 bps. Ignoring encoding, this would be like
operating 30W radio running at 1200 bps at 1.875 W. If we compare this to a
2M radio running at 1200 bps, it is the equivalent of transmitting under 1W
on the 2M band in terms of range and performance.

Manchester Coding vs. AFSK does provide some difference, but I doubt that it
would be more than 1-2 dB.

Encoding on air with an error correction system would probably put the
effective power up to maybe 5W I am guessing. You should consider that

Darryl