[OZAPRS] linux

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Fri May 9 00:03:20 EST 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:08:42PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008, Ray Wells wrote:
>
> > 1. A very significant number of people involved with Debian development
> > are hams who have a better understanding of ham needs than non-hams.
>
> What I keep hearing around the traps is that Debian developers are fleeing
> towards Ubuntu; does this mean that the Amateurs (I hate the word "ham")
> are staying with Debian and thus making it a better system for RF stuff
> than Ubuntu?

I don't see any huge migration of developers from Debian to Ubuntu.
Canonical hired some key people early on, and continue to employ some,
but there hasn't been any mass exodus.

Obviously radio-related software is not in the Ubuntu core, so the paid
employees aren't working on it. However there are many programs in the
"multiverse" section. Most of those packages are pulled in from Debian
automatically and recompiled for Ubuntu... in practice Ubuntu will have
most things that Debian has (radio-wise) though I won't expect it to
have stuff that Debian does not.

Hamish