[OZAPRS] linux

Mitchell, Simon simon.mitchell at roche.com
Thu May 8 12:29:37 EST 2008

G'day Ben,

I have the exact setup you are talking about on a laptop. I haven't run
too many Radio apps on the linux install but they are available

I have the following:

Ubuntu 7.10
Windows XP
DOS

The OS boot selection is controlled by a boot loader called XOSL which
is a free download.

My steps were:

Blank the entire HDD.
Boot using BartPE (another freeby) and partition the disk:

40MB FAT16	Target for XOSL boot loader. This should be the first
partition you create
20GB NTFS	Target for Windoze
400MB FAT32	Target for DOS
Remaining (16GB or so) for Ubuntu

Install XOSL to the 40MB partition and create boot targets to the other
partitions. This process is explained in the XOSL literature

Reboot and XOSL will load and show you the boot choices. Select each one
and run through your Operating System install.

XOSL also allows you to hide partitions from each other as well.

There was one trick when installing Ubuntu and that was (from my vague
memory) to write the boot loader to the root partition. This is not
standard but is required or it stomps XOSL.

You can do the whole thing without XOSL but it is much easier to use it
rather than fiddle with making the boot loader into multiboot. XOSL
essentially isolates each of them and an added benefit with this is you
can use disk cloning tools to extract individual O/S's for Disaster
recovery or install them on their own disk if needed.

Regards,

Simon
VK2TMS