[OZAPRS] linux, FEDORA

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu May 8 17:08:28 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodney Mitchell" <rodney at melecom.com.au>
> Never had this kind of issue with Fedora Core 2,4,5, Fedora 6,7, and now
> 8, the old faithful server is still a FC 4 box...
>
> Debian is certainly more idiot proof thus better for newbies perhaps?

Debian, idiot proof???  *giggle* Until 4.0 came out, I always pointed
friends at ubuntu or redhat or the like, because noone could make it through
the installer, let alone get anything configured after installing ;)  Though
for rock-solid unixness, you can't really go past it :)   Can't say I've
played with FC (afaik it's based on redhat, which I'm forced to use on my US
boxes, and HATE with a passion), but I love being able to simply do a
dist-upgrade each november when the new release of debian comes out, and
know things are going to work..  Redhat was always a 'build a new box and
copy your data over' kind of deal (which is why 90% of the stuff on my US
boxes is now compiled by hand, as they're stuck on RHEL3)

Cheers,

DG