[OZAPRS] Foundation Calls reminder

David Hopkins davhop at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 22 20:28:25 EST 2008

Gentlemen,
A similar problem arose in Brisbane several months ago.

The foundation licence holders were NOT transmitting on the radio.

They were using Ui-view and going to the Internet, thus showing up on
the local maps.

I can't see anything against this in the licence rules.

The problem arose when someone starting transmitting what was being
received via the Internet on the local 2 meter frequency. Thus giving
the impression that the foundation licence holders were going against
the licence rules. The foundation licence holders could hardly be
blamed for doing anything wrong.

As I see it the problem is with the person re-transmitting the Internet data.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

David

At 03:41 PM 22/06/2008, you wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Geoff wrote:
>
> > Just another friendly reminder that Foundation license holders (VKxFxxx)
> > are NOT permitted to use APRS under their license conditions.
>
>OK, I'm a programmer as opposed to an APRS user, but is there no firewall
>facility i.e. something like "/^VK\dF[A-Z]{3}/i REJECT" (which is a Perl
>regex that matches any F-call)?
>
> > I'm not sure about other states, but in VK2 there seems to be more
> > F-calls popping up on APRS lately.
>
>When it comes to technology the local body was recto-cranially inverted
>for ages, but they're slowly coming into the 21st century (giving the 20th
>a miss along the way).
>
> > Does anyone know VK2FIRE ????  If you do please remind them of the terms
> > of their license.
>
>Seems to be a Phillip from Westlakes.  A quick search reveals:
>
>http://www.vkclassifieds.vkham.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=55768&query=retrieval
>
>-- Dave
>21/06/2008 9:27 AM

David G. Hopkins (Vk4ZF)