[OZAPRS] G'day all...can you convince me please

JandG touringaus at bigpond.com
Sun Jun 15 21:41:49 EST 2008

Hi all,
I am very new to APRS but very interested in getting to know it a lot more.

I am contemplating purchasing the Kenwood TM-D710 not only for the APRS aspect but mainly for Echolink.

Just trying to understand why I should be getting involved in APRS as it seems early days (??) and may never take of in Oz as it is in the USA.

So...here are a few basic questions:

1. What is a good place to buy the Kenwood TM-D710

2. What GPS would you recommend? Looked at the GPS-710 and seems cheap.

3. What usage can I expect from the use of APRS?

4. What can I expect to pay for a new Kenwood TM-D710. (I would not have asked this question if Google gave me the answers but it didn't)

Thanks and keep at it,

Kind 73's,
Gerard
VK2JNG