[OZAPRS] Re: Bad Signal on 30m

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 15 19:26:36 EST 2008

Yep .. I gotta agree with Rod.. Its like a Duck dying or being strangled
perhaps.. Ive heard this on and off for over 12 months. Usually when I am
listening mobile its around on 30m. I tend not to listen to 30m via a
speaker at home. I think its been raised before on this group some time back
but was never solved.

Dont be fooled though.
Just because you get a good decode on a station at times does not mean he is
on the clear list so to speak.. HF mobile and RF feedback can be a funny
thing. The whole thing can be a bunch of variables.

Think about it. Who of us would not start wondering about the functionality
of our gear and start looking if it wasnt showing up on maps? Thats if we
checked occasionally on the intenet or Findu etc.. Chances are this "dead
duck" RF feedback candidate is sitting there now thinking its not him
because he gets reasonable tracking on HF and others are seeing him ok. It
just takes the occasional decode to lull us into a false sense of "it must
be all working ok" .. If its a Home station then its probably connected to
the internet feed and will allways show up on Findu even though its warbling
dead ducks on air..

Occasionally I turn the radio on in the car with no antenna and listen to
the packets comming from the HF station inside to see if it sounds ok on air
and also Vice Versa. I even turn the power up beyond normal and see if it
starts to goto RF feedback.

I rarely hear Larry 5LY-4 here because he is too far to work direct most of
the time and too close via the E and F layers but I have not seen him listed
as copied in VK2 VK4 as yet.. He may not be beaconing on HF presently
either.

All I can say as a definite is thats its not 3MY-4 as the signal strengths
are vastly different.
Perhaps one trick would be to sit across the Internet feed and see if any HF
home/Gate stations are beaconing around the time this warble goes to air.
Thats assuming its a home station and assuming its beaconing at the same
time on HF as the Net.

I would really love to know where this one is comming from so we can put a
stop to this cruelty to ducks..

Tony Hunt VK5AH

--- Original Message ----- > Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:13:51 +1000