[OZAPRS] Acer Aspire Eee PC

Rob, VK5FX rg5023 at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 17 10:42:14 EST 2008

Hi all,
Sorry, don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but this maybe of some interest
to members.
Found this on the web today... I have removed all the live links.

Cheers
Rob

Acer is taking a leap into Eee PC territory today with their Aspire One
sub-notebook now officially available in the US. The notebook comes with
pretty much everything we've come to expect from the latest generation of
low-cost ultra portable laptops, including Intel's 1.6GHz Atom CPU, an
8.9-inch screen that delivers a resolution of 1024x600 pixels, and a choice
of Windows XP or Linux operating systems.

Data storage options include an 8GB NAND flash module with an additional SD
card slot for expansion or a 120GB internal hard drive, while RAM is limited
to either a measly 512MB or average 1GB - though even the 512MB option is
supposedly more than enough to run the custom Linpus Linux OS. Other
features of the One include Intel's GMA950 graphics chipset, a web camera,
Ethernet, 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi, a 5-in-1 media card reader, three USB 2.0 ports,
and either a 3 or 6-cell battery for up to seven hours of running time.

The Linpus Lite Linux OS comes loaded with software organized in a
task-centric manner for connectivity, productivity, games and storage. Acer
is putting a strong focus on the Internet too, with a browser, multiprotocol
IM client, fully functional email application, and VoIP options all neatly
presented upon boot up. All in all, it looks like the Eee PC has another
very worthy contender on its hands. Three versions of the One are available
now priced from $379 to $449, depending on configuration.