[OZAPRS] Advice sought

Philip Webb pwebb at aanet.com.au
Wed Jul 2 21:30:27 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am a newcomer to APRS, but I have been receiving a lot of help along
the way. I have come up against something odd and seek some guidance.

I have been putting my callsign into the system via uiview, and, after
sorting out my validation number on second.aprs, I now appear there as
validated. But, while I am connected to second.aprs, my callsign is not
showing up on aprs.fi.

If I change the logon server to (say) first.aprs, my callsign is being
relayed to aprs.fi.

Question is - if I am connected to second.aprs should I be seeing my
packets on aprs.fi ?
And if so, what do I need to know to do this.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, my main operating system is Linux
(Mandriva) which is where I am most of the time and I only boot Windows
and uiview) occasionally. I have not been able to install Xastir as yet
due a problem with ImageMagick - but that is another story for another time.

Thanks for your help

Philip
VK4HPW