[OZAPRS] RS232 sniffer

David Hopkins davhop at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 16 20:59:11 EST 2008

Andrew,
Check out what is available in the shops. Making one is a lot of
work. I have one that has a led on 9 lines and it came from Dick
Smith in the days when it was an electronics store.

I also obtained a break out box that has a pin and switch for every
pin on a DB25 connector. I don't recall where I obtained it from.

To do it properly would require a considerable mechanical effort.

David

At 09:19 AM 16/02/2008, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am thinking of putting together an RS232 sniffer for the shack.
>
>Pretty simple, just some LED's for activity.
>
>What would be the best way ?
>
>Can compartors be used to show activity ? I am looking for lots of them ,
>hence lots of pins to watch.
>
>We have break out boxes, but they never really seem to have all the
>connections we want, for a CRO etc
>
>Ideas ?
>
>A circuit to switch on with a +1.2 or greater volts
>
>Not sure what to do about the -ve swing. or even bother - activity is the
>aim.
>
>MAX232 only has 1/2 in it what I want to do

>15/02/2008 7:08 PM

David G. Hopkins (Vk4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD.
AUSTRALIA