[OZAPRS] Xastir query & Garmin Quest query.

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Sat Feb 9 20:33:20 EST 2008

First question first

In UNIX, you have three sets of permissions.

- rw- r-- ---

The first little dash tells you what sort of object it is (d = directory)

The next set of three dashes, tells you the permissions for

USER, GROUP, OTHERS.

If you set chmod 777 , you will have complete access to everything from
anyone

This would look like

- rwx rwx rwx

Read Write and execute from anyone.

Dig on the net for "UNIX permissions" there is heaps.

You should install XASTIR as root, and then run it as another user.

By installing as root, you should already hav root proviledges.

linux:/var/log/squid # which xastir
/usr/local/bin/xastir

linux:/var/log/squid # ll /usr/local/bin/xastir
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2584837 Feb  5 21:09 /usr/local/bin/xastir

The 777 is a decimal equivalent of the flags.

In mycase, ROOT can read write and execute, all others can read and
execute.

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au <mailto:vk4tec at people.net.au>
http://www.tech-software.net