[OZAPRS] Tropical Cyclones

Geoff geoff at gatwards.org
Sat Dec 20 19:14:45 EST 2008

Yep....

Cyclone positions themselves from the Cyclone Warning Center (Actually the
Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii) come out with a CWA (first 3 chars
of FROM call) of "CWC", so a Cyclone warning is  CWCTCY.  These products
result in objects showing the current position + predicted positions of the
storm.

Warnings issued by the local BoM for the various forecast areas will appear
as xxxTCY where xxx is the normal CWA code for an area.  TCY alerts will be
either WATCH or WARN for the shapefile colouring, but no objects will be
created with these products, as the actual storm is covered by the CWCTCY
one.  In the case of Billy, the warning areas also carried FLOOD warnings,
so a FLOOD object was also sent, and GALE warnings for the coastal areas.

It seemed to work pretty well, for a first time cyclonic event with this new
setup :-)

Regards,
Geoff  VK2XJG