[OZAPRS] HF APRS upsets the car's climate control

Tim Ahpee tim at ahpee.org
Fri Dec 19 09:35:14 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

I spent sometime last night re-routing the coax from the left side of the car
to the right side of the car. Now the coax is away from the fan. I also
checked the antenna match using a network analyser and it reports an SWR of
1.1:1. I also added a clamp on ferrite torroid onto the coax near the antenna
end.

So far, no change. At least it's only the fan that it seems to be upsetting
and nothing crucial like the cruise control :-)

I'm going to have a play with grounding over the weekend and also get a hold
of a dummy load.

If worst comes to worst I can mount the antenna up the back of the car away
from the over-sensitive electronics.

Cheers,
Tim

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:40:13AM +1100, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> Yeah ditto on my the VR Calais I had - ended up using all remote head
> gear in the boot, with antennas mounted off the boot...  Havent gotten
> around to looking at what this VHF radio i swapped a mate an MTR-8000
> for many moons ago is yet, so haven't put radios in the VT wagon and see
> if that has a problem... :)   The old '87 diesel luxie never had any
> issues at all. It's just a shame it was such a dog to drive ;)
>
> --DG
>

> On 17/12/2008, at 8:52 PM, Norm VK3XCI wrote:
>
>> I've been here with my old VN Calais. Make sure the bonnet is bonded
>> to the rest of the body!!! also the bullbar, tho I think you said the
>> spotlights are on it. Maybe bond the base of the antenna directly to
>> the rest of the body. Use double shielded coax?
>>
>> Worst possible case, put the antenna at the back of the vehicle. Good
>> luck, these things are usually simple or impossible.
>>
>> Norm VK3XCI
>>

>> Tim Ahpee wrote:
>>> G'day Folks,
>>> I've just got HF APRS running in preparation for my trip at the end
>>> of the
>>> year and have come across an interesting one. Each time the rig
>>> transmits the
>>> fan in the climate control goes to full power. Nothing else seems to
>>> be
>>> affected just the fan. It was a bit of a shock the first time it
>>> happened. I
>>> was driving along and heard the TX relays go click then I was
>>> blasted in the
>>> face with air. Details:
>>> Rig: Icom IC-7000
>>> Car: Toyota Prado 2008 Diesel
>>> Antenna: Diamond HF30FX mounted on the bull bar
>>> Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the RF is getting straight into the
>>> motor
>>> controller for the fan because if the fan is off nothing happens.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tim
>>> VK3TZA