[OZAPRS] HF APRS upsets the car's climate control

Norm VK3XCI vk3xci at aanet.com.au
Wed Dec 17 20:52:57 EST 2008

I've been here with my old VN Calais. Make sure the bonnet is bonded to
the rest of the body!!! also the bullbar, tho I think you said the
spotlights are on it. Maybe bond the base of the antenna directly to the
rest of the body. Use double shielded coax?

Worst possible case, put the antenna at the back of the vehicle. Good
luck, these things are usually simple or impossible.

Norm VK3XCI

Tim Ahpee wrote:
> G'day Folks,
>
> I've just got HF APRS running in preparation for my trip at the end of the
> year and have come across an interesting one. Each time the rig transmits the
> fan in the climate control goes to full power. Nothing else seems to be
> affected just the fan. It was a bit of a shock the first time it happened. I
> was driving along and heard the TX relays go click then I was blasted in the
> face with air.
>
> Details:
> Rig: Icom IC-7000
> Car: Toyota Prado 2008 Diesel
> Antenna: Diamond HF30FX mounted on the bull bar
>
> Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the RF is getting straight into the motor
> controller for the fan because if the fan is off nothing happens.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> VK3TZA

Regards de Norm, VK3XCI