[OZAPRS] VK2 Nework News

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Apr 13 17:18:47 EST 2008

Hi All,

Just a couple of comments re vk2rmc-1 in Kempsey.

Although the digi is now at its final location the antenna is still to
be raised to final height. This will be done when the site gets rebuilt
with a new mast. No time frame, just ASAP.

I managed to catch a mobile going through Kempsey over the weekend -
heading north Friday night and south this afternoon (Sunday).

The digi appeared to have holes where it shouldn't have holes. However,
I don't know what power the mobile was running and the mobile appeared
to have a modulation problem. The signal sounded rough and over
deviated. End result, I'm not putting much faith in what I observed by
way of coverage.

I've spent the last two days convincing my GPS to talk to an MFJ1270B
that's been fitted with a Tiny 2 EPROM. It's married up to an FM92 and
over the next couple of days I'll do my own coverage survey of the digi
as vk2tv-9. Nothing fancy, not even an icon. Just a TNC beaconing the
GPS position every minute. Since vk2rmc-1 doesn't talk to any other
digis, that beacon period shouldn't upset anyone.

I dug out an old BFR96 2m preamp yesterday and it lifts an FM92 from
0.30uV to 0.08uV so it should make quite a difference to the FM828 at
vk2rmc-1 (currently 0.25uV). the digi is the only 2m installation for
miles so the preamp shouldn't be too unhappy on the hill.

Ray vk2tv