[OZAPRS] UI-View, Tiny2 TNC and collisions!

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 26 17:53:11 EST 2007

Ray Wells wrote:
> Michael Carey wrote:
>

>> Hi Everybody,
>> I run UI-View at home as an I-Gate (VK5ZEA) for the Port Lincoln/Lower
>> Eyre Peninsula area.
>> The TNC is a Paccomm Tiny2 and the radio is a Tait T2000 series. I'm
>> using KISS mode, and I've also tried operating it with the AGW Packet
>> Engine as well.
>> I've recently noticed (might have been doing it all along, I'm not
sure)
>> that this station will happily transmit over other stations without
>> hesitation. Even on an open squelch, which causes the DCD LED to
>> illuminate, command UI-View to transmit a beacon and the Tiny2 will
>> dutifully key up the radio and transmit. Of course, this is not very
>> nice and I would like to prevent it.
>> What could be done about this, where is the carrier detect control done

>> with a KISS TNC situation? Is this an issue with the TNC, with UI-View,

>> KISS? I made sure that the two Eyre Peninsula digi's have hardware
>> carrier detect lines connected to stop them from stomping on other
>> stations. I would like the regions I-Gate to observe the same courtesy!
:-)
>> Any ideas?
>> Michael.
>> VK5ZEA

> Hi Michael,
>
> My experience is that the KISS implementation in the standard TAPR EPROM

> is terrible, with the symptoms you describe being just one of a number
> of timing problems.
>
> The KISS only EPROM from TAPR doesn't suffer these problems, in my
> experience. I have four TNC's here running KISS only EPROMs.
>
> Ray vk2tv

Thanks for the head up Ray. I have a EPROM out of a Paccomm EWM, an
"industrial" version of the Tiny2. This had a cut back AX25 firmware
with no messaging and other frills. I put this in the Tiny2 and now
there is no issue. Looks like the KISS implementation in the original
firmware was a little flakey.
I also re-programmed the radio to prevent transmit over a signal, double
measures!
Regards,
Michael.
VK5ZEA