[OZAPRS] UI-View, Tiny2 TNC and collisions!

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Sep 26 10:29:58 EST 2007

Michael Carey wrote:

>Hi Everybody,
>I run UI-View at home as an I-Gate (VK5ZEA) for the Port Lincoln/Lower
>Eyre Peninsula area.
>The TNC is a Paccomm Tiny2 and the radio is a Tait T2000 series. I'm
>using KISS mode, and I've also tried operating it with the AGW Packet
>Engine as well.
>I've recently noticed (might have been doing it all along, I'm not sure)
>that this station will happily transmit over other stations without
>hesitation. Even on an open squelch, which causes the DCD LED to
>illuminate, command UI-View to transmit a beacon and the Tiny2 will
>dutifully key up the radio and transmit. Of course, this is not very
>nice and I would like to prevent it.
>What could be done about this, where is the carrier detect control done
>with a KISS TNC situation? Is this an issue with the TNC, with UI-View,
>KISS? I made sure that the two Eyre Peninsula digi's have hardware
>carrier detect lines connected to stop them from stomping on other
>stations. I would like the regions I-Gate to observe the same courtesy!
:-)
>Any ideas?
>Michael.
>VK5ZEA

Hi Michael,

My experience is that the KISS implementation in the standard TAPR EPROM
is terrible, with the symptoms you describe being just one of a number
of timing problems.

The KISS only EPROM from TAPR doesn't suffer these problems, in my
experience. I have four TNC's here running KISS only EPROMs.

Ray vk2tv