[OZAPRS] Location reporting for Searches etc

Dave Ingram bulk at ingramtech.com
Wed Sep 19 19:17:33 EST 2007

Ray Wells wrote:
> I have been involved with a number of searches in recent times around
> the Orange and Oberon areas, and have felt the frustration of inadequate

> live information on progress of search operations and the difficulties
> this presents in search planning and execution. The timeliness required
> if there is a potentially live lost person who may be moving, or the
> difficulties presented with very difficult terrain, or both present
> significant problems!!

If you do get things sorted I'd be interested to know how it all works.

In Queensland SES the standard UHF handheld is the Icom IC-F60, which Icom
claim includes 'BIIS' which is a 1200bps data protocol. Apparently all we
need
to do is interface a GPS to the handheld through the side connector (where
the
speaker mic normally lives) and it will transmit location info.

>From the manual:
"Position data transmission
When the optional OPC-966 INTERFACE CABLE and a GPS receiver is connected
the transceiver, the position (longitude and latitude) data can be
transmitted
automatically. Ask your dealer or system operator for connection details."

The interface cable can also be used for a PC so the position reports can
be
displayed.

Has anyone used this system? The 'PTT release' option sounds like MIC-E,
which
is possibly the best option for land search APRS since it could use
existing
radios. I know that APRS is restricted when used in non-ham environments,
but
this would be a good application. A field UI-Digi that could be set up on
stick would help too. Any comments on experience with MIC-E would be
appreciated too.

Dave.
	Comms Officer, Brisbane Western Group SES.

--
David Ingram (VK4TDI)
Real email: dave at ingramtech dot com