[OZAPRS] APRS problem

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Sep 19 11:58:22 EST 2007

Hi All,

Kim VK2ASY asked me to submit this to the list while he sorts out his
subscription.

Ray vk2tv

Hi All,

I have been involved with a number of searches in recent times around
the Orange and Oberon areas, and have felt the frustration of inadequate
live information on progress of search operations and the difficulties
this presents in search planning and execution. The timeliness required
if there is a potentially live lost person who may be moving, or the
difficulties presented with very difficult terrain, or both present
significant problems!!

I am in the early stages of putting together a small system with
assistance from others locally to assist the local SES with searches, as
I feel this technology can greatly assist with search planning and
execution, and give AR in the area a bit of a boost in profile and
involvement.

I gave it the first field run yesterday with a support operation and
came up with a few issues.

Yesterday, I had Pete vk2blo carry the “tracker”, (Kenwood D7 HH and
Button GPS) a few problems with radio coverage, running on 1 watt, in
heavy forest area, below cliff lines, I have logged about 40% of
Transmitted packets …So do have to look at the RF setup.. getting the
portable antenna up clear, without getting in the way, and possibly
using a higher gain than the standard fitted antenna..

Base control antenna was up about 3 meters ground independent mobile,
and Kenwood D700 .. data rate set at 1200… running about 10 watts.. had
some thoughts of adding a small beam into the mix as the control point
was on one side of the search and every thing was confined in a steep
valley..

Then came the display of the data, I got variable results with the
display of data on OziExplorer, from UIView and OziAPRS, taking data off
air. The received data that was clear enough displayed on the map ok,
but could not get the base to show on the map constently..

I like the Oziexplorer display and accuracy but the results in this
configuration is very “clunky”….. I thought of clipped maps directly in
UIView but the accuracy of the trials I have run is not good enough,
where as Oziexplorer locations are accurate on the maps. Voice
confirmation of location at topographic features supports the APRS
location..

Any suggestions on any of the issues, configuration setting,
alternatives etc.. would be greatly appreciated..

Kim Stevens ESM (VK2ASY)

Local Controller

Orange City SES

orange.ses.ops at bigpond.com