[OZAPRS] 10MHz HF Gateway -Re: New to list

Mike Zwingl oe3mzc oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Sat Sep 8 07:51:34 EST 2007

Hi Ray, hi all,
just to state once again: I am not selling any TNCs and I am not in any
way
related to SCS.
I just had the luck to travel VK6/VK8 and V51 during past years and using
such a DSP-TNC in practice.

I agree with many arguments you mentioned: phase distortion at 300baud fsk
is a problem and modern trx are much better than older ones, without high
stability TXO.
However, my experience is that you easily get mislead by the digital
readout
of syntesized radios. In most cases if your display reads 10.151,00LSB you
will NOT exactly hit the international APRS qrg and subsequently you will
not be decoded by PK232 or MFJ or Kantronics or Soundcard, etc...
Of course you can correct that by undergoing some tests with
ECHO-digipeaters
on the band.
There are other traps in the firmware of modern TRX that might make it
difficult for users:
 many trx can adjust a frequency offset to make the voice audio sounding
more high to improve modulation for dx....

So to make the long story short: I accept that you think you dont need
simultaneous decode in a 800Hz channel, but lets agree that it is a
helpful
improvement of HF-APRS in 300Baud FSK especially for gateways.

All the above did not even adress the advantages of using RobustPacket
mode
(RPR, OFDM) instead of 300FSK.
OFDM helps to solve phase distortion problems and multi path, since bit
duration time is much longer(20msec vs. 3msec). RPR uses 8 carriers with
abt. 50baud each, and efficient encoding with FEC and random interleaver.
Here is some example from Africa: During 7 weeks in V51  I transmitted my
posit alternating 300FSK and RPR (same qrg and same number of packets at
time, same trx, same antenna)  and had two gateway stations in ZS1 (Cape
Town) to receive:
ZS1TX in 300FSK received and decoded 141 posits in 7 weeks,
ZS1AAZ in RobustPR received 1647 posits in same period.

So I know that good old proven technology is still doing the job, but
there
is new technology that does it even better, and thats what amateur radio
is
all about, isn't it?
No worries.
tnx fer reading
vy 73 de Mike
oe3mzc
ex vk3fpf

PS: some snapshot from the HF-APRS QRG in Europe- see I-GATEs having
frequency offset from +50Hz to -50Hz , some users are +171Hz off:
* %m
DIRECTLY RECEIVED HF-PR STATIONS:
F6DDV-4 -9 Hz, EA6XQ-3 -18 Hz, RELAY +6 Hz, UA1ATI +12 Hz
SL5ZL -25 Hz, DF4FO -25 Hz, DF4FO-3 -25 Hz, F5KCN-3 +43 Hz
OE3MZC-4 +0 Hz, WIDE +0 Hz, WIDE4 +50 Hz, EA6XQ-5 +0 Hz
G0JXN-10 +9 Hz, HB9MM-4 +9 Hz, F6DDV +0 Hz, F5ZQB-3 +50 Hz
WIDE3 +0 Hz, F6KCF-10 +0 Hz, G0IQK-10 -25 Hz, F6KOB-4 +25 Hz
OZ4DX -43 Hz, EA6XQ-1 +0 Hz, EA6AFM +0 Hz, OK2PEN -28 Hz
EC2A-1 +25 Hz, EB2EMZ-8 +25 Hz, W1ON -6 Hz, OE3XMU-4 -15 Hz
DL1HXB -25 Hz, OE3XMU -9 Hz, AA1XD -25 Hz, W1JMC -50 Hz *
OE3WTS-15 +171 Hz, SP9UX +59 Hz