[OZAPRS] Does any APRS client actually detect an emergency status ??

geoff at gatwards.org geoff at gatwards.org
Thu Oct 18 12:58:26 EST 2007

I've been doing some testing of APRS EMERGENCY beacons
(On a private frequency into Dummy Loads - NOT on the APRS net!!)

The tests were done using a TM-D700, TH-D7A and a UI-View setup with "APRS
Emergency 1.12".

Test 1 - Emergency status sent from D700:
- D7A displayed a ] symbol, no reference to emergency.
- APRS Emergency ignored the beacon (it did receive it as it shows up in
the monitor window).

Test 2 - Emergency status sent from D7:
- D700 displayed EMERGENCY and went nuts beeping about it
- APRS Emergency ignored the beacon (it did receive it as it shows up in
the monitor window).

I will do some further testing with some other apps like Xastir later, but
I'm wondering if anyone has tested this "APRS Emergency" addon for UI-View
and had it working?   I notice a lot of users have it installed, but its
pretty useless if it ignores emergency beacons.

So far, if you need to send an EMERGENCY beacon, you'd better hope that
someone has a TM-D700, as that seems to be the only thing that alerts you.

Geoff
VK2XJG