[OZAPRS] Vista?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Oct 12 09:07:38 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Beamish" <dinkum at optusnet.com.au>
> I do understand that you want a minimum of 1gb preferably 2gb for vista
> really work.

It's funny, I say the same thing about XP - it really only gets out of bed

with more than a gig.. :)

(Seriously, try starting IE with a gig, then try it with two - with a gig
it
takes a few seconds, with two it starts straight away :) )

Although CPU seems to make a lot more difference with Vista than with XP -

my old P4-3.2HT does spend a lot of time at 100% CPU, when it's just doing

something boring like updating the sidebar, or 'scanning' a directory
(doing
thumbnails is painful!!)..  My Core2Quad 2.2Ghz loves Vista, but then, it
has 4GB of ram, so couldn't run XP (try finding a 64-bit copy of XP these
days :(  ) - My trusty notebook will be staying on XP for the forseeable
future, especially since PGP hasn't released a vista-compatible version..

As for actual compatibility problems, I can't say that I've had anything
major (except PGP), but then, I don't do serial comms off my office
machines - for serial comms, I use the XP (with dos in vmware using the
serial ports) machine in the garage..

My next-door neighbour just bought himself a new dell (AMD 64 4000+
whatever
with a gig of ram), and that runs quite happily with vista home edition,
so
I don't think ram is really the limiting factor so much as CPU, unless
you're running a lot of applications..

Cheers,

Damien