[OZAPRS] HF Beacon Rate

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Oct 3 16:17:39 EST 2007

This is the SSID information from the three URL's Tony supplied.

 -1, 2, 3, 4 are for digipeaters and other home stations

 -6  is for Operations via Satellite
 -7  is for TH-D7 walkie talkies
 -8  is for boats, sailboats and ships (maybe 802.11 in the future)
 -9  is for Mobiles
 -10 is for operation via The internet only
 -11 is for APRStouch-tone users  (and the occasional Balloons)
 -14 is for Truckers
 -15 is for HF

-6 Satellite or special operations (usually mobiles/portables)
-7 Kenwood D7 HH
-8 Secondardy mobile/portable (Maritime applications USA, maybe 802.11
in the future)
-9 Primary Mobiles
-11 APRS Touch Tone Via EchoLink systems (and the occasional Balloons)
-12 Portable Units such as Laptops etc.
-14 Legacy standard for Truckers (USA)
-15 HF Mobiles

    -0 Home Station, Home Station running IGate.
    -1 Digipeater, Home Station running a Relay Digi, Wx Digipeater
    -2 Digipeater [#2 or] on 70CM
    -3 Digipeater [#3]
    -4 HF to VHF Gateway
    -5 IGate (Not home station) -6 is for Operations via Satellite
    -7 Kenwood D7 HH
    -8 is for boats, sailboats and ships (maybe 802.11 in the future)
    -9 is for Mobiles
    -10 is for operation via The internet only
    -11 is for APRStouch-tone users  (and the occasional Balloons)
    -12 Portable Units such as Laptops, Camp Sites etc.
    -14 is for Truckers
    -15 is for HF

List 1 ignores -0
List 2 makes no mention of SSID 0 to 5
List 1 & 3 say -15 for HF (mobile, home station, either, both??)
List 2 says -15 for HF mobiles and then to confuse the issue, lists 1 &
3 say -9 is for mobiles (HF, VHF, or HF and VHF??)
List 2 says -9 is for primary mobiles, whatever they are. Are there
secondary or tertiary mobiles?
List 1 says -4 is for digipeaters and other home stations while list 3
says -4 is for HF to VHF gateway

It's easy to see how a newcomer, after refering to a single list, could
make a mistake. It's only after one gains some experience that some
aspects of the lists start to become clear, and other aspects remain
unclear.

I was running -4 as a VHF Igate and was in the process of getting the HF
radio ready for the HF gate. This quite cleary fits in with the useage
of -4 for "other home stations" but is in conflict with list 3.

I was taken to task because I didn't have the HF radio working at that
time and therefore I wasn't a HF gate and therefore should not have been
using -4

VK3 uses -1 for digis while VK4 is using -3. Yes. it does fit in with
both lists 1 & 3 but it doesn't represent a national standard.

I think I must reiterate my earlier comment that when it comes to SSID's
"you can get as many answers as there are people you ask".

Ray vk2tv

Tony Hunt wrote:

>Ray .. Here are some more URLs .. Not sure whats so confusing about the
SSID