[OZAPRS] VK2 APRS 'New n-N Paradigm'

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Oct 14 22:56:45 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On
Behalf Of Ray Wells
>Don't expect too much in the way of APRS north of the Central Coast.
> I may stand corrected but I think VK2RAG at Somersby is the
> northern-most APRS digi at this time.

Speaking of the Central coast, I just spent the last week in Charmhaven
(~15km from wyong?).  Seems half my probs with APRS in the ute have been
something going on with that damned fold-back-able antenna, as the D7
wasn't hearing a single APRS packet, until I shoved it on UHF, and put
the FT8100 into cross-band repeat mode..  All of a sudden I had lots of
APRS :)  BUT, not a single packet of mine ended up on the 'net  - is
there no igate up there?  I was hearing my packets back fine (which was
a bit of a tricky thing, with the 8100 realtime repeating VHF to UHF, a
lot of packets had their starts chopped off before the 8100 keyed the tx
up fully..), but they never appeared on findu, even after leaving it
running all night last night..

Even with the 8100 running its full 50W into the 4.5dB antenna, there
was basically no APRS activity whatsoever from about 60km south of
Sydney, until I came through Wodonga, then I had pretty much full cover
till the usual blackspot through Seymour, which went until I hit the
Melbourne network..  (Although findu isn't showing that yet, I'm
guessing it's got a delay?)

Cheers,

Damien