[OZAPRS] Alpine Rally - APRS & RF conditions

Dave Ingram bulk at ingramtech.com
Tue Nov 27 20:13:51 EST 2007

Richard Hoskin wrote:
> Dick,
>
> You bet I am.
>
> Now that APRS in Australia is on the same frequency we are all on the
one
> Big National APRS Network and should respect and appreciate it.
>
> What you do locally in your town will have an effect on a station in
Perth
> or Brisbane if the conditions are right. No one is isolated on their own
> network anymore, unless you change frequency to something other than the
> National APRS Frequency.

The National APRS network is a good thing, and I'll be using it for fun
whenever I get around the place. My Opentracker worked nicely in Darling
Harbour when I was in Sydney for a conference. It turns out that VK2US was
within 500m or so of me, so the signals weren't a problem from the
handheld
(my carry-on bag did get scanned twice though at Brisbane -- must have
been
all the ham gadgets).

Is it feasible for WICEN events to have a temporary digipeater set up at a
strategic location (a WIDEn-N), with fillins (WIDE1-1) scatted as needed,
but
all on a different frequency? I imagine that the 'tactical' needs of a
race
mean that quite regular position updates and some control over the
participants would be beneficial.

Such a setup could then be deployed in times of emergency where there
isn't
national coverage (such as supporting SES in land search or during
floods). If
there are bad storms, I guess that the repeater sites could be damaged and
all
the digis that people depend on disappear.

Just my 2.2c (GST inc.),
	Dave.

--
David Ingram (VK4TDI)