[OZAPRS] Anyone using solaris as an operating system ?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Mar 25 22:50:01 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Rich" <vk4tec at tech-software.net>
> Just had solaris 10 sitting here doing nothing
> Wondered if any one uses it at home for ham radio ?

Using it at work, I'd have to wonder at the sanity of anyone who CHOSE to
use it at home.. especially if they wanted to do anything that wasn't
'solaris certified', and didnt have a current solaris maintenance
contract...  You can't upgrade *anything* on Sol 10 without having a
current
maintenance contract to download the patches...  I have a client with a
little sun box in my server room that they got me to shove Sol 10 on for
their dev environment.. They're currently waiting till I have time to do a

reinstall to put debian on it the same as their production box, because
they
got sick of not being able to run the java version of their choice (with
sol
10, unless you have maintenance, you're stuck with the version that
SHIPPED
with 10.. :(

IMHO, if you want to play with slowaris at home, use 8 or 9, but stay as
far
away from 10 as you can!   :)

Cheers,

DG