[OZAPRS] APRS With Codan radios

Marc Robinson PCA.cc at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 20 10:16:20 EST 2007

Hello Jim,

Firstly, there are good Codan auto-tune antennas and there are bad
ones. Make sure it is the type with the tapered barrel and not the
older version with the constant diameter barrel. They are nasty!

The 9323 is a fine radio. You need to check that it has been
programmed with Option TXE (Transmitter Enable) otherwise you can't
easily enter new frequencies from the keypad. You definitely need to
make sure you get the two Instruction books with the set or get a pdf
copy for printing. They are a monster to learn to drive. They handle
data very well and you won't cook them.
Two issues:
1. While you can freely tune the receiver VFO style across any
frequency, the transmitter does not follow. You have to actually
programme a spare channel with any Tx/Rx frequency you want to use.
No good if you are used to QSYing around the bands.
2. The data modem connector mating the rear 10 pin GP (General
Purpose) socket on the rear of the radio is no longer available as
the Japanese supplier has ceased making them. The rear panel
connector can be changed back to the 8 pin used on the earlier 8528
transceiver as these are still a Dick Smith item.

The earlier 8528 transceiver can be programmed as a true Ham rig with
full VFO operation across all HF ham bands. However Options are
needed:
1. Option H (Ham) which includes fitting a 1647 KHz crystal to provide
LSB.
2. Option PS (Plug Special) which is the fitting of the rear 8 pin
connector for a data modem, along with about 15 components that must
be soldered into the mother board. Codan made the provisions but did
not populate the PSB. The mods cost around $180.

Don't get any ideas about trying to push AFSK into the microphone or
remote control audio inputs on any Codan radio. The audio circuits
are carefully tailored to round off any clicks during the change from
Tx to Rx and the first bits of data will be lost. You have to use the
proper Option inputs mentioned above.

Both very good radios.

Regards,   Marc

Marc Robinson Email pca.cc at bigpond.com