[OZAPRS] Mobile installation question

Zik Saleeba zik at zikzak.net
Wed Jan 31 13:49:23 EST 2007

Hi, I'm pretty new to amateur radio and am looking to get my car set
up for APRS. I'm unclear on what the best approach is though. Ideally
I'd like to join in the daily commute chat while my APRS system is
also doing its thing. Presumably I'll need two radios for that, one
for APRS and one for voice. Will I have problems with front end
overload or intermodulation distortion if I'm running two transceivers
at once? What do other people do to avoid these issues?

Is it best to avoid chatting on the 2m band entirely if my APRS
transceiver is occasionally sending on it? Or can I use some kind of
duplexer to avoid these issues?

My second question - is it possible to set both transceivers up to
operate on the same antenna? I'd like to keep the number of antennas
down if I can.

Am I completely off the track here? What is everyone else out there doing?

Thanks,
Zik Saleeba
VK3MHZ