[OZAPRS] ADSL / Router / WIFI

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Jan 18 23:00:06 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Rich" <vk4tec at tech-software.net>
>I am about to dump my LInkSYS WRT54G because of the know issues with rf
> intereference.

I'm curious what interference you're having?  I've run WRT54G's running
OpenWRT at work and at home for over a year now, and I never had a problem

with it causing problems with the Igate - was running 500mW to VK1RGI from

work, and never mised a single packet...  Got more interference out of the

PABX than I saw out of any other piece of kit in the server room...
Unless
you've got one of the newer non-OpenWRT-compatible ones? Going to a
different CPU, they're likely running different clocks speeds etc?
Although
to be honest, I've never turned the WIFI on the thing on.. I use it simply

because it running OpenWRT is one of the two or three routers available
which can actually handle the task of routing a live subnet through ADSL -

went through eight 'routers' before I found one that would work reliably
with NAT turned off and doing 'proper' routing..).. I have a Netgear
DG834G
(with all the ADSL/NAT/DHCP stuff turned off) running as my WIFI...

> Can anyone suggest a quiet ADSL/ROUTER/WIFI box ?
If you're not doing an insane amount of bittorrent traffic, I'd heartily
recommend the Netgear DG834G - it has a little problem with holding more
than a few hundred active NAT states in memory, but unless you do a LOT of

bittorrent, it's a very robust and reliable modem/router/wifi box :)  I
have
two at home (house and garage wireless) plus 8 or so out at client sites,
and haven't had a spot of bother with any of them :)

Regards,

Damien