[OZAPRS] Help with THD7

Ian Mills imills at awa.com.au
Thu Jan 18 14:03:03 EST 2007

> > I really noticed it when yesterday evening PCSAT went
> > almost overhead (86 degrees) and I could barely hear
> > packets while monitoring, yet my positions were
> > uploaded without problems.

> That is interesting.  It actually makes two conflicting points.
> On the one hand, you say the D7 hears the digi full-strength and
> get no decodes (implying a decoding problem) and this PCSAT
> comment appears to sugggest an RF weakness problem?  But the
> PCSAT downlink is relatively FLAT audio, and so I do expect it
> to often decode on a D7 with a weak signal.

Thanks Bob and Richard for your advise, I'll see if I can round up a
helper with another D7 or D700 before sending to Kenwood.

Bob, I thought the above it was strange too as I have no issues with
hearing weak signals, however PCSAT was barely a whisper and was only
moderately audible when overhead (Sat was in full Sun, 100km south of
Sydney). I thought at first it was Doppler shift but it left me wondering
when it was overhead and still barely audible. I managed to get a packet
received by PCSAT a few seconds before LOS however there was nothing but
static to be heard for the last 3-4 minutes of the pass. A few seconds
after LOS I QSYed to the local Land-based Digi and its packets could be
heard loud and clear, although not being decoded by the D7.

FYI, I was Txing on the A side and monitoring the B side with the balance
fully down on A meaning 100% audio on B. I often do this (monitor on B) if
I want to quickly listen to a Digi rather than fiddling with the balance
as I drive along and the audio is always clear.

Cheers
Ian
vk2him
AWA Limited