[OZAPRS] Advice sought

Roger Nichols sarncon at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 17 09:48:25 EST 2007

G'day
Jeepers, these mailing lists are a problem when you have more than one
email
account and forget you are only listed under one of them - so here goes
again.

We (some of TasAPRS) are grabbing an opportunity when Targa Tasmania runs
in
April.  WICEN supplies many of the comms operators for the event.  This
year we
want to cover the event with APRS.  (Targa covers most of the State over
five
days).  Targa is keen to have it happen, but primarily it's a great
opportunity
for VK7 APRS folk to test their mettle state-wide, so number one priority
is an
amateur radio event.  Benefits to Targa are secondary, but of course
important.
Must stress that Targa does not have a budget for what we want to do, but
they
are happy for us to use the event as a test bed.  We will only have the
tracker
gear for a couple of strategic vehicles, the Zero car and Fast Sweep. You
never
know, they might like it and want to go further next year (opportunity for
the
commercials amongst us).

Anyway, all sorts of things are happening, mainly around getting cover
where it
doesn't exist.  New digis are going in and portable units being built for
deployment each day as the event moves around the State, to be deployed by
the
WICEN crews establishing the best located voice repeaters (80MHz) on the
day.

As most of you know, Scott VK7HSE is ill currently, so some of what he
would
normally have sorted is lacking a bit of attention.  I'm trying to work
out the
best way of getting the telemetry on to a map on a PC at Rally Command in
Hobart.  I'd like to use OziExplorer because of it's capability to load
waypoints of all the stage starts, finishes, SOS points etc etc.
Currently, I
have running OziExplorer with netAPRS linked to UIView which is connected
to the
APRS server (filtered for Tas).  I can't figure how to connect netAPRS
directly
to the server (if capable) so that UIView isn't necessary.  I'm also
running
AGWTracker direct from a filtered server feed and this is also good for
the
purpose with it's better map handling, but lacks some of OziExplorer's
capabilities.

Any advice, comments etc. would be appreciated.  Particularly interested
in
a) how to set up NetAPRS for server connection, and
b)  is it possible to share one server connection between two or more
applications running at the same time on one PC on a LAN internet
connection,
e.g. AGWTracker AND NetAPRS OR UIView.

All will be on a download only basis - though messaging might be useful as
we
will have a couple of PC equipped monitoring stations in the field each
day.

Look forward to seeing some interesting stuff on your screen 17 - 22
April.

Cheers

Roger VK7ARN WICEN Coordinator - Tas (South)

PS Targa likes deep valleys, big hills and winding roads, so digi cover
and
Tracker set up is interesting.