[OZAPRS] Upside down power supplies

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Sat Dec 22 11:40:29 EST 2007

Thanks to all who responded on this one  - I think Dave probably
identified most accurately it when he wrote:

>In China, the sockets are installed upside down relative to the
Australian one
>shown in the picture. "
>
>I think we're getting plugpack mouldings that are really for the Chinese
>domestic market, and it isn't worth making a version for the
>Australasian/South Pacific market.

The Wikipedia link to which he and others referred me reveals an
absolute diversity of national standards which surely must frustrate the
adventurous international traveller.   ("If the hotel room has two flat
thingumys and a round thingumy we must be in  [insert appropriate
country] ............")

I must also say that I'm puzzled that they've been passed or allowed
into Australia considering our very strict rules on other things
(expanded below), but apparently we place very little importance to the
operation of the switch on a wall outlet these days.

I'm still immensely annoyed that the extremely useful Clipsal 463
piggyback plug was banned from purchase by the common people in
Australia some years ago.  They are readily available in New Zealand
(branded Made in Australia), but these days they are apparently only
available to the theatre industry over here.   Apparently the reason for
the ban was that some turkey somewhere once bought two of them and made
an extension cord - innovative because you can use either end at the
wall outlet - pity about the exposed pins at the other end though ....
As someone once observed: It's hard to make things foolproof because
fools are so ingenious!

My curiosity on this has been satisfied, and I've had my rant for the
day.  Thanks to all who responded; our discussions should now perhaps
return to the difficult matters of the correct tracker params etc.

73, happy tracking!
Terry
VK5ATN