[OZAPRS] Mobile beaconing over Christmas break

Geoff geoff at gatwards.org
Thu Dec 13 20:30:33 EST 2007

Hi Everyone,

With the Christmas holiday period fast approaching, and our national APRS
network maturing and providing more and more coverage, I'm wondering how
many users out there will be mobile between states and into areas with
little to no VHF APRS coverage..

We're interested to see what the ACTUAL coverage of some of the 'fringe'
digipeaters is.   Some examples are

a)       The Northern section of NSW - There is a digipeater on the Gold
Coast (VK4RGO) that has coverage down towards Ballina,,,  how far does it
actually extend??

b)       Coverage north of Newcastle - How far out towards Singleton and
Forster does the new digipeater at Maitland cover ??

c)       Coverage down the South Coast - How far does VK2AMW-2 and VK2TVZ
really cover ??

d)       Where are the real dead spots between Adelaide and the VK3 border
?

So if you are driving around over the Chrismas break, please DON'T turn
off
your APRS beacons just because there may not be any digipeaters nearby..

There are some active plots happening of the actual coverage so every
beacon
sent in these fringe areas counts, and will help us plan future digipeater
sites

Regards,

Geoff  VK2XJG